I am excited to be sharing my first recipe here! We are three weeks in to the new year already and it is definitely time for something sweet and tasty. I have been making this cheesecake for quite few times already and not ones has it let me down. This salted caramel and chocolate cheesecake melts in your mouth, has a delicious nutty base, is completely vegan (also gluten-free) and does not require time in the oven – this is a chill-overnight-in-the-freezer kind of cake. This salted caramel and chocolate cheesecake is certainly the cheesecake for anyone with a massive sweet tooth!
Let’s talk a little bit about this nut packed crumb base. I used a mixture of almonds, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, walnuts, and pecan nuts alongside with some dark chocolate to keep everything together. This base is truly tasty, nutty (obviously) and definitely one of my favorites when it comes to cheesecake bottoms. The main reason I adore this crumbly base is that it is so simple to modify the flavor by picking different nuts to combine.
The filling is a mousse-like mixture of a plant-based whipped cream, vegan cream cheese, dark chocolate, and caramel sauce. The unflavored cream cheese gives a nice firm feel to the filling, but at the same time the sweet salted caramel sauce makes sure that the filling stays nice and gooey even after a night in the freezer. I mentioned in the beginning of this post that this cheesecake melts in your mouth and I absolutely meant it! The filling is so so soft and will literary just melt in your mouth!
Since this cheesecake requires freezing in the making part, it also requires freezing after a few slices have been eaten. So if you are eating this by yourself or in a small group, just take the cake out of the freezer to slice and serve, and put it back when your done to wait for the next serving.
Salted Caramel And Chocolate Cheesecake
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1/4 cup (or 0,6 dl) of vegan butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add sugar, coconut cream, and vanilla extract. Whisk the ingredients together. Whisk till bubbly (about 6-8 minutes), then add salt and whisk for about a minute. Be careful not to burn your caramel.
- Take the pan of the stove and let the sauce cool down.
Nutty Crumb Base
- 200 grams of nuts (I used a mix of almonds, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, walnuts, and pecan nuts)
- 50 grams of dark chocolate
- Crush the nuts. I crushed them quickly in a blender, but you can also use a knife to cut the nuts into tiny pieces.
- Melt 50 grams of dark chocolate. If you want your cake to be vegan, be careful with choosing the chocolate.
- Mix the crushed nuts with the chocolate and move the mixture to a springform pan. The pan i used was a 20 cm springform pan, but this cheesecake can also be done on a bigger springform pan with this same recipe.
- Put your pan to the side to wait for the filling.
Salted Caramel and Chocolate Cheesecake Filling
- 1 cup (or 2 – 2 1/2 dl) vegan whipped cream ( I used soy whipped cream)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 200 grams of unflavored vegan cream cheese
- 150 grams of dark chocolate
- the Salted Caramel Sauce
- Melt 150 grams of dark chocolate.
- Whilst you are melting the chocolate or have already melted the chocolate, whisk the whipped cream with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Mix 200 grams of cream cheese with the melted chocolate. I used a beater in this step because the vegan cream cheese i used had a rather tough consistency.
- Mix together in a bowl the three components – whipped cream, melted chocolate and cream cheese mixture, and the caramel sauce.
- Pour the filling into the springfrom pan on top of the nutty base.
- Put a foil on top of the pan and put the pan into a freezer. Let the cheesecake freeze overnight.
This part here is completely up to you! I used a bit of melted chocolate, some nuts, a couple of homemade nutty chocolate slices and some chocolate and nut crumble (the base ingredients mixed with some oats) to decorate mine.
If you make this cake be sure to tag me on Instagram and/or Twitter @emilylainpelto so I can see your beautiful creations!