Do you like tofu? With vegetables, and a nice sauce perhaps? I know I do!
I have been making this sweet chili sauce with rice pretty much once a week for the past couple of months now. Actually my mom had been making this sauce base, and I thought is was so so good, so twisted it a little bit the make a plant-based sweet chili tofu sauce recipe.
This sweet chili sauce is sweet, and spicy (obviously), super delicious, and extremely easy to make! So without further a do, let’s get in to the recipe!
Ingredient wise, this recipe takes tofu, pepper, cabbage, soy sauce, sweet-chili sauce, tapioca (or potato, or corn) starch, water, a vegetable stock cube, and a little bit of vegetable oil.
I have grown quite fond of cabbage, and pepper lately. Cabbage tastes good, and it is really cheap in where I live, so I’d say it is a win-win kind of a situation – both wins for me of course. Pepper on the other hand just goes amazingly with everything.
The making process is definitely not more complicated than the ingredients. First boil some rice. I find that rice suites this sweet chili sauce the best. Then chop the tofu, and the onion. Cook the tofu, and the onion in a pan with vegetable oil, and a tiny bit of soy sauce. Chop your pepper, and your cabbage, and add those to cook in the pan. And whilst those are cooking mix all the ingredients to the sauce together, being soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, starch of your choosing, water, and a vegetable stock cube. Once that is done, pour the mixture to the pan, and cook for a little bit. And you are done! Simple as that!
Sweet Chili Tofu Sauce
- 125 grams of tofu
- 300 grams of pepper
- 200 grams of cabbage
- 4 tbsp of soy sauce
- 4 tbsp of sweet-chili sauce
- 1 tbsp of tapioca starch ( potato, or corn starch will do as well)
- 1 cup water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Vegetable oil for the pan
- Rise to go with the sauce
- Make your rise according to the instruction on it’s packet. This sauce makes 4 servings. (I like to add a vegetable stick cube to the boiling water whenever I make rise).
- Chop your firm tofu into tiny cubes. Chop one large onion.
- Add a little bit of oil (~1 tbsp), and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to a pan. Add the chopped tofu, and onion. Cook in medium to high temperature till they start taking a bit of color.
- Chop your pepper, and cabbage.
- Add the chopped pepper, and cabbage into the pan. Stir everything together and cook until nice, and golden brown.
- Whilst the tofu, and the vegetables are cooking, induce a vegetable stock cube into 1 cup of water in a bowl.
- Add sweet-chili sauce, soy sauce, and tapioca starch into the mixture, and mix everything together. Add a tiny bit a cayenne pepper if you want an extra kick – be careful not to add too much thought.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Cook till the sauce starts to thicken a bit.
- The the pan of the stove, and serve with rise!
Hope you enjoy this recipe! You can find me on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest @emilylainpelto.