You probably know by now what nice cream is. Frozen bananas blended to resemble the consistency of ice cream. I mean what more could one want than some delicious, healthy ice cream!
This recipe is a nice cream flavored with orange. I also added a cute, and super nutritious chia gel to go with the orange nice cream. Of course the chia gel is in now means necessary to the nice cream recipe, but is gives a nice twist to it! So if chia seeds aren’t your thing, feel free to make the orange nice cream by itself.
I must also mention that this recipe is really simple, and quick! This orange nice cream with chia gel will only take 25 minutes of your time and requires 7 ingredients – or 8 if you count needing water as well. All of the ingredients are delicious, and easy to find! This nice cream is simple, and quick, delicious, and healthy!
Ingredient-wise we are looking at an extremely simple, and easily-find list. One will need bananas, oranges, plant milk, and vanilla extract to make the nice cream. In turn, the chia gel will only require chia seeds, water, and maple, or agave syrup. Honey will also be excellent in the gel, if you would like to use that. This recipe will require a blender to make the nice cream in as well. Truly simple, right!
The recipe starts with freezing the bananas in a freezer overnight. I like to chop the bananas to 5-10 pieces before putting the into the freezer, because blending them will be a lot easier if they are in smaller pieces – at least with my blender I have noticed this to be the case.
Once one actually starts making the nice cream the first step is blend the bananas in a blender. Once the bananas have reached the consistency of a smooth cream it is time to start turning the banana nice cream into orange nice cream by flavoring. Fresh oranges a definitely the way to go with the flavoring. In step juice of two oranges is squeezed into the blended banana mixture along side with grated zest of one orange, some plant milk (if needed for a smoother, and softer consistency), and a little bit of vanilla extract. Once all of the ingredients are in the blender everything is blended together nice, and smooth.
I recommend starting by making the chia gel. The gel takes about 20 minutes to form, so just by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl, and setting the bowl aside to let the seeds form a gel texture, gives you time to do everything else whilst the gel is forming.
Orange Nice Cream
2 big, or 4 smaller servings
- 4 frozen bananas
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/5 cup (1/2 dl) any plant milk (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by making the chia gel (This will save you time)
- Chop each of the bananas in to 5-10 pieces, and put all of the pieces in to the freezer the night before.
- Start the making of the nice cream by putting all the banana pieces in to a blender.
- Add juice of two oranges, grated zest of one orange, the vanilla extract, and the plant milk (if you want to).
- Blend all the ingredient together until smooth.
Chia Seed Gel
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 8 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp maple, or agave syrup
- Add all of the ingredients into a bowl. Get the syrup nicely mixed in.
- Let the chia seed form into a gel for 20 minutes.
- Once you are done with both the orange nice cream, and the chia gel, plate your nice cream in a bowl, and decorate if you want to.
Hope you like this quick, and easy orange nice cream recipe. You can find me on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest @emilylainpelto.