Sometimes you just need a really good pasta to brighten up your day. In this post, I am bringing you a recipe for just that. This is a garlic and spinach pasta bake which is super creamy, garlicky -obviously-, delicious, and comforting. Sometimes you just need a little bit of comfort food as well. Nothing wrong with that!
I have just lately grown to like spinach. Honestly, I do not know why I have not always liked it. Might seem like a poor defense for spinach but to me, it does not taste much like anything by itself. It just has a nice, shooting flavor which is not too much of anything, or too strongly anything. And don’t get me wrong, I do think spinach has an amazing flavor once you partner it up with other ingredients. All that, and the nutrition contents of spinach, wow, it is just the absolute perfect food to add anywhere you can possibly think of.
This recipe is a 13-ingredient recipe, but do not get scared just yet. All of the ingredients are easy to find, and I am sure you are familiar with most of them. The reason I say ‘most’ is that this recipe contains nutritional yeast. To me it is still quite of a new acquaintance, and I am sure it might be to some of you as well. Nutritional yeast gives this dish a lovely cheesy flavor. If you can not find nutritional yeast, you can always replace it with any sort of vegan cheese product. Or just skip it. Skipping it will change the flavor, but you should still be just fine.
The ingredient list for this recipe contains spinach, penne pasta (or any kind of pasta of your choosing), onion, garlic gloves, tomatoes, plant-based cooking cream, vegetable oil, water, plain flour, nutritional yeast (or nutritional yeast flakes, however you would like to call them), a vegetable stock cube, and some salt and pepper. Sound quite simple, right!
The cooking process of this dish is by no means difficult. It will take about an hour of your time all together, but half of that is the oven time of this garlic and spinach pasta bake. The cooking starts with cooking the penne pasta almost ready. Mean while you can start chopping the onion, and the garlic, and fry them. The second big part in this recipe besides the pasta is the garlic sauce. The sauce is just oil, and plain flour, followed with water, plant-based cooking cream, a vegetable stock cube, seasonings, and the fried onion, and garlic gloves. After both, the pasta and the garlic sauce, are ready all that is left is to combine everything with out third major part in this recipe, spinach. After that, move everything into a casserole, chop some tomatoes to the surface, and pop in the oven for 30 minutes at 400°F, which is roughly 200°C.
On a note, nothing to do with this beautiful garlic and spinach pasta bake, I watched a new documentary called “What the Health” the other day, and would definitely recommend that to anyone who is interested in a plant-based diet, and the health reasoning of it. I though the content, and the message of the documentary was excellent, and it also was capable of keeping the viewer’s, in other words my, interest on the screen, and in the topic with the way that it was filmed and constructed. If you don’t know what I am talking about, “What the health” is a new documentary from the makers of “Cowspiracy”. Definitely give that a watch too if environmental issues are something you would like to learn more about, and/or interest you!
Creamy Garlic And Spinach Pasta Bake
- 150 grams of fresh spinach
- 500g penne pasta
- 1 big onion
- 3-4 garlic gloves
- 3 tomatoes
- 4/5 cup (2dl) plant-based cooking cream
- 3 cups (7,5 dl) water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- vegetable stock cube
- salt, and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (~200°C).
- Boil water in a sauce pan. When bubbly, add the penne pasta, and some salt if you want, to the water, and cook until almost done (5 to 7 minutes, but check your pasta’s cooking time from the package). Remove the pasta from the stove, and from the water once it is almost cooked.
- Chop the onion, and the garlic gloves. Cook the onion in a pan with medium heat till nice golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute. You can add a tiny bit of oil to your pan, or a tiny bit of water will also do just fine. Remove from the stove when ready.
- Whilst the onion is cooking, start the garlic sauce by cooking the vegetable oil and the plain flour in a sauce pan until slightly browned.
- Add the water, and the plant-based cooking cream to the vegetable oil and plain flour mixture. Mix everything together nice, and smoothly.
- Add the vegetable stock cube to the sauce, and keep mixing until the vegetable stock cube has dissolved, and the mixture starts bubbling. Now keep mixing slightly and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the stove. Add the onion, and the garlic as well as the nutritional yeast. Season with salt, and pepper to taste.
- Remove all of the ingredient – meaning the penne pasta, and the garlic sauce- into a big casserole. Add the spinach to the casserole as well. Mix everything together.
- Chop your tomatoes into thin slices, and top the dish with them.
- Cook in 400°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and serve.
If you are looking for the perfect pasta recipe but this one doesn’t do the trick for, give my Quick and Easy Vegan Creamy Tomato Pasta a look!
Hope you enjoyed this little recipe! You can find me at @emilylainpelto on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. I am also on bloglovin’, you can give me a follow there so you never miss a post!
Be sure to leave a comment telling me if you liked this recipe, if you try this out!